Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

Rykon

Two Thousand Club
It also occurred to me about a day or so ago that this attack was likely yet another smokescreen for a higher priority target.

Rykon

Two Thousand Club
I haven't had as much time to really think through their strategy and objectives, so I've been a bit slow. Up until then, I hadn't worried about it at all really. It was only when I started going through the past events of the game in writing the rant that I started to consider a few things.

Ordinary units don't do a Kamikaze charge like that, so I wrote the assault off at first as an attempt to wipe the base away entirely. However, even as someone new to the setting, the Malcontents words tipped me off that they can, will, and do make sacrifices like that for their own objectives. Humans only have a few select instances of that in our history. Pearl Harbor being one of them.

Second, while they could have taken the supplies like they did at the start of the game, they never staged a secondary attack on the convoy like I would've expected them to. Once that became apparent, it was a lot more obvious.

Third, taking out the comms first is a fairly innocuous move. Jamming communications and disabling the ability to call for backup is universally a desirable advantage. However, in the context of the mission being related to a different target... It means not only would we not send calls for help, we wouldn't receive them either. Additionally, once we had broken through the obstacle, our resources were tunnel-visioned on the assault.

So ultimately what my question would be to the veterans here is... what sort of target would there be that is more appealing than the downfall of Anton-17? Is it something any of us would be remotely aware of?

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Hate to say it, but I see this as just another day in Malcontent life. I don't think they hit the convoy because they didn't know about it. If it were a supply run, they would have nailed it for certain.

Zentraedi often attack in overwhelming force and numbers, whenever possible. This raid is typical. While I wouldn't be completely surprised if there was another target, this smells like just another one of their all-out assaults to me. As for a kamikaze charge, I think it was anything but. (I'm not trying to give credit to my character here - seriously, but...) ask yourself what kind of battle it would have been without the Monster artillery crew and the Dragon aircraft supporting us? I think the Malcontents were counting on us not getting word out. Our outside help took out twenty of those hostile mecha, possibly including 4 Female Power Armor units hiding in the trees (their deadliest mecha).

And, oh yeah, whomever put Anton-17's comm tower out where it was obvious so it could get one-shotted like that needs to leave the Army of the Southern Cross (at the very least). In other words, I'm totally with Alan on that one. =)

Rykon

Two Thousand Club
Hate to say it, but I see this as just another day in Malcontent life. I don't think they hit the convoy because they didn't know about it. If it were a supply run, they would have nailed it for certain.

Zentraedi often attack in overwhelming force and numbers, whenever possible. This raid is typical. While I wouldn't be completely surprised if there was another target, this smells like just another one of their all-out assaults to me. As for a kamikaze charge, I think it was anything but. (I'm not trying to give credit to my character here - seriously, but...) ask yourself what kind of battle it would have been without the Monster artillery crew and the Dragon aircraft supporting us? I think the Malcontents were counting on us not getting word out. Our outside help took out twenty of those hostile mecha, possibly including 4 Female Power Armor units hiding in the trees (their deadliest mecha).

And, oh yeah, whomever put Anton-17's comm tower out where it was obvious so it could get one-shotted like that needs to leave the Army of the Southern Cross (at the very least). In other words, I'm totally with Alan on that one. =)
True, without the ability to call in fire support, we would have had to use viking shield walls around tanks to try and endure long enough to whittle them down. However, if one aircraft leaving jamming range was enough, surely the masters of war that are the Zentraedi could account for that? That is, assuming they have strategy behind that mass.

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
They do, but besides the Comanchero helicopter, what friendly aircraft does Anton-17 have? The Zentraedi likely knew nothing of our Ajaxes.

Keep in mind that our Spartas tanks and especially our Ajax veritechs are brand-new to this war. The First Robotech War was fought with Valkyrie veritechs and Destroids and whatever other conventional machines we could dig up. These new mecha along with our comparatively-new fighting force (the Army of the Southern Cross) are things the Malcontents never had to deal with when they first encountered Earth. It's just another edge for humanity that our people badly need. =)

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Oh, and @Illiyasviel Von Einzbern? If it's not obvious, Gabi is truly concerned about Ryuko's welfare. She's hoping to get a caring response from Ryuko because she's convinced Ryuko's got that caring side. By trying to reach it, Gabi is hoping Ryuko won't make another (admittedly-newbie) mistake like that and get herself hurt. Gabi doesn't doubt Ryuko or her motives at all, and she is quite aware of their differences as women, but that won't stop Gabi from saying whatever she thinks she needs to to help keep Ryuko alive. She doesn't want Ryuko to join her parents anytime soon, and not just for Gabi's sake. =)

EDIT: Oh, and if I'm playing Gabi too strong, let me know? This is my first time playing a latina Special Forces/Mecha Engineer. She's hot-blooded, but she's got a big heart. =)

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Oh, and one more thing (sorry to spam OOC like this) - @Rykon What a rant from Alan! Hah! I found it very funny! Just crack after crack! How long did it take you to make all that up and put it together like that?

P.S. I will see your answer tomorrow. Real Life calls. =)

Rykon

Two Thousand Club
Oh, and one more thing (sorry to spam OOC like this) - @Rykon What a rant from Alan! Hah! I found it very funny! Just crack after crack! How long did it take you to make all that up and put it together like that?

P.S. I will see your answer tomorrow. Real Life calls. =)
I had stopped changing my draft a few days ago, but it was about a couple hours at first then some revisions and new paragraphs for a few following days.

My measuring stick of appropriateness was if I could get friends to laugh with minimal context. Some lost feeling in their face.

Oh, and @Illiyasviel Von Einzbern? If it's not obvious, Gabi is truly concerned about Ryuko's welfare. She's hoping to get a caring response from Ryuko because she's convinced Ryuko's got that caring side. By trying to reach it, Gabi is hoping Ryuko won't make another (admittedly-newbie) mistake like that and get herself hurt. Gabi doesn't doubt Ryuko or her motives at all, and she is quite aware of their differences as women, but that won't stop Gabi from saying whatever she thinks she needs to to help keep Ryuko alive. She doesn't want Ryuko to join her parents anytime soon, and not just for Gabi's sake. =)

EDIT: Oh, and if I'm playing Gabi too strong, let me know? This is my first time playing a latina Special Forces/Mecha Engineer. She's hot-blooded, but she's got a big heart. =)
Haha. Ryuko is trying her best. She really doesn't like what she's up against though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)